Increasing Your Home’s Appeal
Remember the 60-second rule: That’s all the time you need to produce a winning impression. Here are some simple ways to maximize your home’s appeal.
- Keep the lawn cut and remove all backyard mess.
- Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
- Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Powerwash house’s exterior.
- Ensure all seamless gutters and downspouts are securely connected and operating.
- Paint the front door.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Place potted flowers near the front door.
- Evaluate the furniture in each room and eliminate anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the space appear smaller sized. (Think about leasing a storage unit to move furniture off-site.)
- Clean and arrange cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
- Clean all lights and ceiling fans.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Remove extreme wall hangings and knick-knacks.
- Repair all plumbing leaks, consisting of faucets and drain traps.
- Make small repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
- Fix or replace stained grout.
- Replace broken tiles.
- Replace worn countertops (or at the very least clean them up).
Special information for showings
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- Keep family pets protected outdoors.
- Buy brand-new towels for bathrooms.
- Buy new bed linens for bedrooms.
- Replace old lamps or lampshades.
- Play quiet background music.
- Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
- Infuse the home with a soothing scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
- Set the dining-room table for a fancy dinner party.
- Vacate the property while it is being shown.